Experiences with Win 2000 and samba-TNG

Tom Crummey tom at ee.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Mar 7 16:47:22 GMT 2000

Hello,

I have finally taken the plunge and downloaded TNG using cvs. This report
relates to a cvs update of 7th March 2000. The domain controller is a
SUN E450 running Solaris 2.7. samba built cleanly (barring a few
warnings of initialisations from non-compatible pointers and discarding
of consts). If anyone wants the gory details let me know.

What works:

A Windows 2000 box which was joined to the domain (EE) using the cvs from
6th March, will allow domain logins, will run a netlogon script (most of
the time) and will implement roaming profiles. Problems we have had with
this include, profiles not being downloaded when the %U substitution
is used, but we used the %username% workaround posted a few days ago.
I have not tested the %U substitution today, but saw no evidence of
anything in the cvs updates to suggest that it had been fixed since
yesterday.

What doesn't work:

Joining another Win 2000 box to the domain. It appears to join in that
you can go all the way through the windows Identification wizard. It then
pauses for a long time and then offers you the opportunity to add a user
to the local machine. If you try to do that, you get an error message:

The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.

If I look in the smbpasswd file though, a machine account is added
for the workstation.

Logging onto the domain on the system then fails with the error:

The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's computer
account in its primary domain is missing or the password on that account
is incorrect.

Has anyone any ideas why this might occur?

Is there any way to get debug/log messages to be timestamped? I find
it very difficult to relate the lines in each of the 8 or 9 log files
to a particular action taken on a client.

Thanks to everyone who is putting effort into getting TNG working well,
especially Luke.

Tom.

 Tom Crummey, Systems and Network Manager,      EMAIL: tom at ee.ucl.ac.uk
 Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering,
 University College London,                       TEL: +44 (0)20 7679 3898
 Torrington Place,                                FAX: +44 (0)20 7388 9307
 London, UK, WC1E 7JE.