Fwd: Re: NetLogon Service

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at xavier.sa.edu.au
Mon Mar 6 02:33:39 GMT 2000

Brian Keats wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Mar 2000, Kevin Colby wrote:
> > Brian Keats wrote:
> > >
> > > (Did I mention I'm using secuity = domain ?)
> >
> > I do not understand what you are trying to do here.
> > Is this a PDC, BDC, or a domain member?
> >
> >       - Kevin Colby
> >         kevinc at grainsystems.com
>
> It's a domain member.  I'm trying to get it to act as a, for the lack of a
> better term, kind of proxy DOMAIN controller.  It's almost doing that now
> except for the part of passing along the logon script to the client machine.
> In other words, the linux machine is validating users by contacting the PDC (
> or one of the BDC's).

I don't see how it can be physically possible. I was under the
impression that if you have security=domain and no domain logons=yes
line in your smb.conf file, you are rnuning a member server. It will not
process any logons. Once you add the security=user and domain
logons=yes, you are no longer a member, but a domain controller. If you
join a domain, you are a Backup Domain Controller. Someone else will
know for sure.

At least you don't need to reinstall your unix to go from PDC -> BDC ->
Member server. ;-).

Matt

--
"Our goal for the next release of Windows 2000 is to have zero bugs."
- Lucovsky, Microsoft