(more) TNG questions

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at xavier.sa.edu.au
Mon Mar 6 01:03:17 GMT 2000

..
> Question 2.  At the end of the listing of parameters that it paid attention
> to in smb.conf, (the doing parameter... stuff), it comes back with what I
> think is screwing up my login.  It says "lp_servicenumber: couldn't find
> homes".  I don't understand why it can't find homes.  I have created an
> account using 'smbpasswd -a' for the user who I'm trying to log in with.  On
> login, it gives the error "The share name was not found.  Be sure you typed
> it correctly."  Seems to me that these are related.  I'm using essentially
> the smb.conf from the TNG FAQ, with just a couple of changes.  Can somebody
> point me to some clues as to why "homes" isn't being found?
>         Greg

Homes is a special share that shares out every valid SMB users's unix
homes directory (I think I got that right). The smb.conf man page can
explain it much better than I. It is not enough to be disallowing
logins. The worst that can happen is if a login script has a line like:

net use h: /home

it won't map the drive and will give an error. This in turn may prevent
profiles and things from working if they are set up on the user's home
drives (which I think is default windows behaviour).

I hope this helps.

Matt

--
"Our goal for the next release of Windows 2000 is to have zero bugs."
- Lucovsky, Microsoft