(more) TNG questions

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Mon Mar 6 00:23:42 GMT 2000

I'd started off the weekend starting to learn C++ from my background in
Pascal, but TNG is much more fun, so I'm back screwing around with it.  I've
added an interfaces line to smb.conf, and I don't see loopback so much
anymore, makes things easier to read.  Thanks.
Question 1.  When I start nmbd, I notice that it says "Samba server SPARC20
is now a domain master browser for workgroup DOMAINA on subnet
UNICAST_SUBNET" and "Samba server SPARC20  is now a domain master browser
for workgroup DOMAINA on subnet 192.168.1.50", which seems nice.  I've
noticed while watching log.nmb (level 100), that when it does a
dump_workgroups() for the subnet at 192.168.1.50, SPARC20 is listed as the
DMB, but when it does the same thing for UNICAST_SUBNET, the DMB is UNKNOWN.
I don't think its breaking anything, but I'd like to see where to track that
down.
Question 2.  At the end of the listing of parameters that it paid attention
to in smb.conf, (the doing parameter... stuff), it comes back with what I
think is screwing up my login.  It says "lp_servicenumber: couldn't find
homes".  I don't understand why it can't find homes.  I have created an
account using 'smbpasswd -a' for the user who I'm trying to log in with.  On
login, it gives the error "The share name was not found.  Be sure you typed
it correctly."  Seems to me that these are related.  I'm using essentially
the smb.conf from the TNG FAQ, with just a couple of changes.  Can somebody
point me to some clues as to why "homes" isn't being found?
	Greg