NetLogon Service

Brian Keats bkeats at spiff.chin.gc.ca
Fri Mar 3 04:36:18 GMT 2000

Thanks for the reply Chris,
	No, I don't have a netlogon share defined.  I was hoping I could
get away without doing that.  Our organization has a very large
distributed NT domain.  I was hoping I could get my Linux machine to
validate users and pass along whatever logon batch file the NT domain
admins have set up for each of their users, without me recreating or also
storing their batch files on my linux machine.  So far, my linux machine
will validate users on the win95 machines even though they don't have an
entry in /etc/passwd on my linux machine !!! (Which suprised me). They can
map shares and browse the network !!! I was also hoping the NT PDC/BDC
would also pass along the name and location of a users logon batch
file.  At one point, I copied all the hundreds of different batch files
complete with correct directory structure to my linux machine in placed
them in a netlogon path and also specified this root path in a netlogon
service on my linux machine. Still didn't get the batch file passed along
to the client.  This is why I am wondering if I should be trying a newer
version.  I also tried with giving myself an /etc/passwd entry and
smbpasswd entry. I can see one way of doing it which would be creating an
'account' for each of the thousands of accounts and place a copy of each
batch file in a netlogon share (which would become a nightmare after a
short period of time because I would have to constantly and manually
syncronize my accounts with all the other PDC's in our enterprise). Not to
mention how do I specify the correct batch if the NT domain guys are not
using something that can be substituted by a samba variable.  Such as some
NT admins using a one of many geographically abbrev. for a batch
file. How would
that be represented in an smb.conf file ?

Sorry for rambling on but I was curious if a newer samba version passes
along the name of the batch file to the authenticating machine (i.e the
Linux box) who in turn would check it's netlogon share and then pass along
the appropriate batch file.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Regards