[Fwd: problems after converting to NTFS]

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Thu Mar 2 12:25:55 GMT 2000

Stef Hoesli Wiederwald wrote:

> I use a Linux machine as PDC for our NT network. After I converted C:
> on one of the machines from FAT to NTFS, I get this message every time
> I log on as normal user:
>
> Incorrect password or unknown username for:
>
>    \\MACHINE\C$
>
> Connect As:
> Password:
>
> If I just hit cancel, I am logged on normally. But I get the same
> message, If I want to start a program trough a shortcut on the
> desktop, which resides in c:\WINNT\Profiles\All Users\.
>
> On http://www.jsiinc.com/TIP1000/rh1016.htm
> it says, that one should delete and re-add the machine using SRVMGR. (I
> guess this is a program used on Win NT Server?). I tried to delete the
> entry for that machine in smbpasswd, re-create it, and let MACHINE
> re-join the domain. But that didn't help...
>
> Any other suggestions?

It seems that your machine has started resolving shortcuts, stored in
tour profile, with UNC names. You can stop this in two ways:
1. Enable administrative shares with poledit (this will enable the C$
and D$ and .... shares)
2. Again two options
2.1 Download the shortcut program from a win"blood" site and make the
shortcut stupid.
(IT works only with win9x so you must copy your c:\WINNT\Profiles\All
Users\ directory on an win9x machine, shortcut every lnk file (the
shortcuts) and copy again them back)
2.2 With service pack 6a I found on poledit a new option that prevent
shorcut link lockup and seem to work.

I use point 2 for load balancing with two servers (NT + Linux) and
prevent WinNT to search for a particular server when the application
statrts, and I think It should resolve your problem.

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451