Problems joining a domain with a Samba-TNG PDC

Inge-Håvard Hunstad inge at cc.uit.no
Thu Mar 2 12:05:13 GMT 2000

Richard Ham wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After catching up with the list archives and list traffic, it seems no one
> is having the simple problem of just creating the trust account any more -
> except for me?
>
> I am running last nights version of the TNG branch, and am getting the
> following type of dialog with rpcclient when I try to create a trust account
> for a NT WKS named calnet2 :
>
>     /usr/local/samba/bin/rpcclient -S . -U root -l log
>     Enter Password:
>     [root at .]$ createuser calnet2$
>     createuser calnet2$
>     please use 'lsaquery' first, to ascertain the SID
>     [root at .]$ lsaquery
>     lsaquery
>     [root at .]$ createuser calnet2$
>     createuser calnet2$
>     please use 'lsaquery' first, to ascertain the SID
>     [root at .]$ quit
>     quit

You will get this "error" message if the samba daemons isn't running.
But I can't explain why you don't get that message when you try to
connect to the netbios name of the samba server instead of localhost.
Also be aware that the rpcclient doesn't tell you if you type the
password wrong.

Cheers

Inge