Behavior of roaming profiles

Daniel Stutz dstutz at clip.de
Wed Mar 1 08:29:50 GMT 2000

Hello.

I'm running Samba 2.0.6 with a 2.2.12 kernel as a Domain Server (Pseudo PDC).
It worked fine, even the roaming profiles. But then I leaved the domain and
joined a workgroup. The "trusted account" in passwd an smbpasswd had been
deleted, also all user accounts. Now I'm created a new machine account (same
machine name), joined the domain again and found the following situation:
some users couldn't change their profiles (They can change, but after logout
they get a new NT default profile, NOT then one located in
"%systemroot%\profiles\default user". It's just like mandatory profiles.), while
others could. To ensure, that the configuration  haven't be changed, I restored
both a linux and a NT Workstation backup, made from "virgin" systems to build a
test environment. Again everything worked fine. I leaved the domain, joined a
workgroup, deleted the machine account and the user accounts and rejoined the
domain. I found nearly the same situation as described above. But now no user
could change his profile.  I found a microsoft article about, corrupted
profiles, which described similar symptoms. I tried their recommended
workaround and deleted the server stored profile as well as the local copy. It
worked! But after that the users got a new profile, but not the same as before:
now it is the one located in the "default user" directory!

Has anybody made similar experiences?

Is there a solution for my production environment?

I'm searching for a "checked" version of the "userenv.dll", which logs all
activities during down- an uploading roaming profiles. I could not find it in
DDK or SDK like described in microsoft article "How to debug roaming profiles".
Does anybody know, where I can find it?

Thanks in advance

Daniel