setting up a Linux 2.2 server for Win9x dialin

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Thu Jun 29 02:59:27 GMT 2000

At 06:07 AM 29/06/2000 +1000, Edward Schernau wrote:
>Subject line says what I'm doing.  I'd like to use pam_ntdom
>for authentication, since IIRC, it can authenticate people
>even if they don't have /etc/passwd entries.  I just need
>the users to get ppp access, the Linux box is in an NT
>domain environment (which I've joined).

I do a similar thing using pam_smb and found that ppp did not like being
told to authenticate a user who did not have an acount. So I have a system
that creates 'dummy' accounts on the dial in server as they appear on the
samba pdc. It might still be possible, but I found it easier to spawn the
accounts as I already had such a system running for other purposes anyway.

>From memory, ppp wants a uid to change to after authentication.

david
David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au