smbpasswd file

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Wed Jun 28 14:00:05 GMT 2000

Matthew Geddes wrote:

> I have noticed that the permissions of the smbpasswd file
> are set to rw to the owner only. Great idea. Does this
> mean, though, that the only user who can add new accounts
> is the person who owns this file (in my case, the
> administrator) or does it mean that my domain admins group is
> not set up correctly? I can use smbpasswd to change the
> passwords OK, but rpcclient does not enjoy changing
> anyone's password (including the user I am logged in as).

I may be preaching to the choir here, but the
password hashes in the smbpasswd file are plain text
equivalents so the file should be rw- for root only.  To
relax permissions is a security risk.

Have not played with changing passwords via rpcclient in
a while, but my gut is that it should work.  What error
messgae(s) do you get?

Cheers,
jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com  VA Linux Systems    gcarter at valinux.com