Nt --> Windows9x: access denied

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tue Jun 27 15:01:46 GMT 2000

Paolo Supino wrote:

> Hi
>
>     I've installed a network who's PDC is Samba (Linux RedHat 6.1 running Samba
> 2.0.5a). Everything works greate and the company is very pleased with the
> setup. There is however one problem I can't seem to solve (and they found a way
> to bypass it by opening a share on the linux machine): Trying to access shares
> on Windows 9x machines from NT machines yields the error: access denied. What
> might be the cause of this problem? Did anyone ancounter this before and is
> there a solution?
>
> TIA
>
>                 Paolo

samba 2.0.5 is not able to authenticate the W95 machines on behalf of NT
workstations as in a real NT domain would happen, so NT workstation deny
you access.
with 2.0.x you can't also log from a wks to another as admin nor launch
at commands from a wks to another.

Answers based on my experience.

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451