How to set permissions correctly ?

Mayers, Philip J p.mayers at ic.ac.uk
Tue Jun 20 10:40:11 GMT 2000

I think the problem you're having is that Samba is setting the wrong
permissions on files created. Do this:

2) For the Projects

mkdir /whatever/Projekt1A
chown UserA /whatever/Projekt1A
chgrp Team1 /whatever/Project1A
chmod 2770 /whatever/Project1A

Note, we've set the setgid bit on the directories above, so all the files
create in that directory will have the directories group, not the user's
primary group

Then, on the share containing these files, set the parameters

create mask = 0770
force create mode = 0770
directory mask = 2770
force directory mode = 2770

We make sure the setgid bit propagates to all the directories.

There are many different ways to do this. Without knowing your exact
requirements in detail (which, to be frank, no-one here wants to :o) it's
impossible to say. You'll need a good understanding of Unix permissions and
Samba's interaction with them to find the absolute best solution.

(The absolute best solution would be proper NT-style ACLs in the filesystem,
but no popular unices offer that).

Cheers,
Phil