Samba Name Broadcast Problem

Mike Kobzeff validex at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 17 17:45:48 GMT 2000

I'm currently having a problem with my Samba installation in that it's not
browseable through Network Neighborhood.

My installation has the following settings among others:

server mode = domain
netbios name = subsyslnx
os level = 33
wins server = 10.0.1.1
name resolve order = host wins lmhosts bcast
local master = yes (could this cause this problem?)
etc.

In other words, I have the samba server as a member of my NT domain. It
passes authentication requests off to my NT PDC and let's it decide who to
let in. This part is working perfectly.

I have a WINS server running on the NT box, but not a DNS server. Instead, I
have a DNS forwarder running that passes requests onto a real DNS server on
the internet (the software i'm running is called WinRoute, and it's
basically a small NAT server).

Anyhow, I was just curious as to why the Samba server wouldn't broadcast
it's NetBIOS name out so that it would at least show up in Network
Neighborhood. And yes, I am running both smbd and nmbd.

Thanks for any help!

Mike Kobzeff
validex at earthlink.net