problems joining nt-boxes to samba-controlled domain

Michael Glauche mg at plum.de
Sat Jun 17 12:47:44 GMT 2000

> Hallo all,
>
> first sorry about my english, hope it is not to terrible.
> My problem:
> I'm using samba 2.0.7pre4 on SuSE Linux 6.3 kernel 2.2.13.
> I like to get samba working as an PDC for the domain test. Compiling was
> fine, I used the following options:
> /configure --prefix=/system/samba
> --with-automount
> --with-smbmount
> --with-pam
> --with-profile
> --with-quotas
> --with-msdfs
> --with-privatedir=/system/samba/private
> --with-lockdir=/var/lock/samba
> --with-swatdir=/system/samba/swat
> --with-sambabook=/system/samba/swat/using_samba
>
> I created the machine-account for the nt-box in /etc/passwd and with
> smbpasswd -a -m c4214-10$.
> Now I would join the domain with the nt-box. I changed the entry fom
> workgroup to domain and get the following message:
> "The update of local security to become a domain member was not possible."
> in german:
> "Aktualisieren der lokalen Sicherheit, um Mitglied der Domäne zu werden,
> nicht möglich." (original message)
> There is not any help from NT. By the way, I can see the samba PDC in the
> network and I can browse and connect to some shares with a valid
> samba-user. Are there any hints?
> I will add my smb.conf and the logs as tgz.

a few points:
--with-pam is useless (?) because you need encrypted passwords
--with-profile does enable profiling (i.e. speed measuring), you probably
don't need it.
in your smb.conf:
- update-encrypted does not work when encrypt passwords=yes (but probably
won't harm)
- you should use "wins server = yes", as in ur logfiles, client send wins
requests to samba

It could be a problem with the nt-client. does the same message appear from
all workstations ?
(I remember this one, but I was experimenting with TNG, completely
re-installing TCP-IP
solved it)

regards,
   Michael