Hooking up

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Fri Jun 16 09:59:13 GMT 2000

Juergen Nagler wrote:

> > They should when WINS is working properly. I can't see your message from
> > here, but make sure you have all of the
> >
> > local master
> > domain master
> > preferred master
> >
> > options set to yes in smb.conf, as well as the os level=65 line
>
> I don't remember if you have an NT as PDC but if so it isn't a good idea
> to make samba the domain master (IIRC BROWSING.txt of 2.0.6). The same
> for local and preferred master if the Samba is on the same subnet as the
> NT-PDC.

Indeed. I originally sent this to the wrong list (oops), so here it is
again...

> Mike Westkamper wrote:
> >

> > None of the connected systems seem to browse the Linux box. I have '95, '98,
> > NT4, and NT5(2k) systems connected.
>
> They should when WINS is working properly. I can't see your message from
> here, but make sure you have all of the
>
> local master
> domain master
> preferred master
>
> options set to yes in smb.conf, as well as the os level=65 line

Danger!!! If you set the options as above, then your Samba box will
become a domain master browser for its domain. I'll register the NetBIOS
name for that domain, and your NT PDC will lose the election. PDC's
don;t expect this to happen, and are caught unprepared by it. From the
Samba docs:-

Note that you should NOT set Samba to be the domain master for a
workgroup that has the same name as an NT Domain: on each wide area
network, you must only ever have one domain master browser per
workgroup,
regardless of whether it is NT, Samba or any other type of domain master
that is providing this service.

Your PDC may well fall over quite spectacularly if you do this.

If you have an NT WINS server on your network, set wins support to no,
and set the wins server option to be the IP address of that box.

If you have no WINS server, either simply set wins support to no, and
live with broadcast based resolution, or set up a WINS server. If you
want to use Samba as your WINS server, oyu need these parameters set:-

wins support = yes
name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast

You can also set dns proxy =yes, and it's probabaly a good idea.

HTH

Mike.