UNIX->smbpasswd synch

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Wed Jun 14 22:54:43 GMT 2000

At 05:15 AM 15/06/2000 +1000, douglas irvine wrote:

>.... or if there is
>another solution using PAM or somehow else automatically updating
>smbpasswd when "passwd" is used on the unix side--I would greatly
>appreciate some direction ;)

I use pam_smb to authenticate all activity on several unix machines from
one central password database, smbpasswd. Pam_smb will work against the
standard samba versions (ie 2.0.7 etc), it is just a case of installing the
library and making a pam_smb config file that points to the samba (or NT)
server that is acting as PDC. Then make standard pam stacks that mentions
pam_smb for whatever you want to allow such as login, ftp etc.

See http://www.csn.ul.ie/~airlied/pam_smb/

It has been suggested that pam_smb is not as secure as pam_smbpw but it
certainly seems acceptable.

David
David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au