UNIX->smbpasswd synch

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Wed Jun 14 21:05:35 GMT 2000

[douglas irvine <dci at pitt.edu>]
> I'm running samba 2.0.6 on RedHat 6.2--all standard installs. I would
> like to be able to have the unix accounts have corresponding samba
> accounts, w/ the same passwords.

See the following, which I announced here yesterday:

  http://peter.cadcamlab.org/misc/pam_pwexport-0.0.tar.gz

> or if there is another solution using PAM or somehow else
> automatically updating smbpasswd when "passwd" is used on the unix
> side--I would greatly appreciate some direction ;)

That's exactly what this module does, if you set it up right.  It
harvests passwords whenever users type them in (through `login', `ssh',
`passwd', `ftp', etc.), and ships them to a designated program or
script.  The README includes an example script that uses `smbpasswd' to
insert the correct password into your Samba password file.

The Linux-PAM pam_unix module has a bug which prevents my module from
picking up password changes, so you'll need to apply a patch (also
included) to Linux-PAM and rebuild it.

Peter