problem with samba an windows 2000

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Mon Jun 12 23:36:44 GMT 2000

Ralf Huelsmann wrote:

> hi !
>
> i´m working on setting up a pdc who can serv w2k-clients.
> since i had good expirience with suse 6.3 and the samba on it,
> it tried that.  no luck... ok, just put the samba 2.0.7 on it
> and the type of error message changed..

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/ntdom_faq/page1.html#1-2

1.2. Can I have a Windows 2000 client logon to a Samba
controlled domain?

The 2.0.x release branch of Samba does not support Windows 2000
domain clients. In fact, about the only the the 2.0.x branch
does support (and this is unofficial) is a domain logon from
Windows NT 3.51 / 4.0 clients. If you need more functionality
than this, you should look at the other Samba development
branches. (see Q1.3)?

1.3 What are the different Samba branches available in
CVS and what do they mean?

Note that you can find out more about obtaining Samba's
course code via anonymous CVS from http://www.samba.org/cvs.html

There are basically four branches to watch (I know four
code branches is a lot):

     HEAD
	Samba 3.0; this code boasts all the main development work
	in Samba with the exception of the Samba PDC
	implementation. Two things that	most people are not
	aware of which live in the HEAD branch code are
	* The winbind NSS module
        * Tim Potter's VFS implementation
     SAMBA_2_0:
	This branch contains the updates between the latest
	stable code release and the upcoming release. Code is
	back ported from HEAD to here.  This branch currently
	contains the code to become Samba 2.2.0.
     SAMBA_2_0_RELEASE
	The actual code released in the current stable
	source distribution. It provides the Samba developers
	with a reference point and frozen code base to view in CVS.
     SAMBA_TNG
	The branch contains the bleeding edge developments in
	the Samba PDC implementation. If you want to find out
	more about about Samba TNG, please refer to The
	SAMBA_TNG FAQ maintained by Lars Kneschke.

 \/    http://www.valinux.com  VA Linux Systems    gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org       SAMBA Team           jerry at samba.org
       http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~cartegw

                                - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )