samba as wins server

llu lluisma at osi-technologies.com
Fri Jun 9 10:43:31 GMT 2000

I think broadcast is not going thru your tunnel. If your windows client
is type hybrid(meaning use WINS first then broadcast) it may be failing
to access WINS and so it broadcast and got nothing, despite that you
were able to map drives manually. I experience this problem in a
different setting. I set up DHCP server on RH62 box. I specified type=2
(no broadcast, just WINS) and the windows client couldn't log onto the
domain. I changed back DHCP server and specified type=8(WINS then
broadcast), then it worked. It seems to me that disabling broadcast
makes it fail to work. Try to run tcpdump on your samba server and
capture packets originating from your windows client and post it here.

LLU