PDC user authentication

Wilson Yau wilson at coms.com
Wed Jun 7 16:11:10 GMT 2000

Dear Randy,

I apologise for the incomplete comments of the previous email replying to
you.

What I've found is the option "valid users = %S" in the [homes] section does
help keep unauthorized users out of home directories they don't own.
However, it won't work on its own.

The following were the tips given by Gerry George:

>1./  When different users has been logged in and out of the NT client,
>the late users can actually browse the home directories of the previous
>ones;

There is some documentation on this issue.  See the FAQ
at  www.samba.org.  You should try to comment out the "   logon home =
\\%L\%U " line and see if it  soles this problem.  The issue revolves
around your shares declarations.

The above two treatments have to be done in order to fix the authentication
problem.  They are actually mutual independent.  They must go hand-in hand.
Do one without doing the other won't solve the problem.

I don't understand the mechanism inside. but it's my experience.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If anyone can explain to me this phenomenon, I'd be very grateful.

Concerning the second problem, the previous error message appears no more
now.  However, roaming profiles of individual user still cannot be created.
Any clues?

Regards,

Wilson