File Locking Problem

James W. Beauchamp jbeauchamp at gesinc.com
Tue Jun 6 16:53:51 GMT 2000

Hi everyone:
I am using Samba 2.0.7 as a domain login controller under RedHat 6.2 for a
small user group (ten people running primarily NT Workstation).  I have a
share on the Linux box that contains our accounting software.  The software
is metered for the number of concurrent users.  What happens is when a user
closes the accounting software (and even logs off the computer ) Samba still
maintains a connection to several files from the accounting directory.  As a
result, no one else can use the software until those files are released.
sometimes Samba appears to release the files on its own after about 10-15
minutes, other times I have to go and physically kill the PID.

Does anyone know why this is happening, and is there a way to force all
files closed when a user exits a share (postexec maybe)?

Thanks

James

-------If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes----------
BE SURE TO REMOVE THE OBVIOUS ANTI-SPAM STUFF IN MY RETURN ADDRESS

James W. Beauchamp, P.E.
Global Environmental Solutions, Inc.
2621 Sandy Plains Road
Suite 102