Samba as PDC for network containing Windows 2000 Server machine

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tue Jun 6 13:41:23 GMT 2000

"Aleksandar B. Samardzic" wrote:

> I've tried to accomplish above with several Samba branches (2.0.7,
> tng-alpha-2.5.3, latest 2.1.0 from CVS) without success, so I would really
> appreciate if someone could state precisely which Samba version is able to
> act as PDC for network consisting of several Windows NT 4.0 machines and
> single Windows 2000 Server machine (what I need from PDC functionality from
> Samba is to enable domain logons and to host user home directories and
> profiles).
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Samba 2.0.x and The HEAD branch from CVS (will be 3.0.x?) support
limited DC functionality with no support for win2000 or BDC.
Samba TNG (The Next Generation) is really alpha code but 2.5 seem to
work in most environments: this is able to act as pdc for win2000 and
will support in time full DC capabilities.
So if you need DC with win2000 machine you must test a TNG alpha
release.

Regards,
Simo

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451