Samba 2.0.7 PDC not updating user list

MATLAB Control Models matlab at control.co.za
Mon Jul 31 23:49:23 GMT 2000

No, the users have accounts (unix and samba) made with "adduser .. user" and
"smbpasswd -a user", they can log in to the domain, but they are not added to
the user list seen from the NT clients.

This list is seen in
a)User Manager for domains before you try and edit an entry and get Dr Watson
b)Copy a profile from System applet in Control Panel, and set who can use the
profile
c)Add permissions for a domain user to access a windows share
d)Make local groups cosisting of domain users.

All of these work, and show me the old list of users, not including those I
have recently added, although they can log into the domain, browse thier home
directory etc.

I need d to work at a minimum, but b would also be nice. The other 2 are not
necessary but I think they all use the same list.

Unfortunately I can't send you pieces of my smbpasswd and passwd files, or even
smb.conf, but I can assure you that this is the ONLY problem I am having, which
makes it very irritating. I want to join my samba printer to the domain so I
don't have to allow guest printing, butI can only do that once all the users
can access shares they had access to before. This means I need to add them to a
local group or a share acl.

Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I am one of the few doing this kind of
stuff with 2.0.7, but I was led to believe that 2.0.7 could do this, and on my
test domain everything worked that I needed.

Buchan

> Date:          Tue, 01 Aug 2000 09:03:47 +1000
> From:          David Bannon <D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au>
> Subject:       Re: Samba 2.0.7 PDC not updating user list
> To:            matlab at control.co.za, Multiple recipients of list SAMBA-NTDOM
>                <samba-ntdom at samba.org>

> At 12:27 AM 01/08/2000 +0200, MATLAB Control Models wrote:
> >Ah, but 2.0.7 has made a list. Thus there must be some way to update it.
> >
> >I have no need for user manager for domains to work on the samba box, just
> >be able to authenticate users on the client workstations. This is working
> fine
> >except that the list does not update.
> >
> >Where is the list stored ? How can it be updated. Can I force samba to
> update
> >the list.
> >

> Hmm... What we have here is a failure to communicate !
>
> When you say that samba is not updating its passwd list what are you doing
> and what is samba not doing ?
>
> Have you created the origional smbpasswd (data) file ? You should be using
> the program smbpasswd to add a user to the smbpasswd file. There should
> already be an entry in /etc/passwd for that user. For example under linux
> as root :
>
> > adduser -n -s /bin/false -g users joeblow
> > smbpasswd -a joeblow
>
> Joe Blow will then be prompted to enter a password. You should be able to
> see the entry in smbpasswd by :
> > tail /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
>
> All of the above command produce reasonable error messages and 'User
> manager for Domains' is not involved at any stage. More info on
> http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au/samba
>
> David

> David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
> School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
> La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
> Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au
> ..... Humpty Dumpty was pushed !

Control Models - Matlab for Africa
See our webpage at http://www.control.co.za
mailto:matlab at control.co.za
Please reply to the above address, not the default!