Problem with the maps

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Mon Jul 31 08:15:01 GMT 2000

Karl-Heinz Schulz wrote:

> Samba 2.07
>
> I have the following settings:
>
> directory mask 02770
> force directory mode 02770
>
> create mask 0660
> force create mode 0660
>
> I have the problem that whenever a file is saved the ownership changes to
> the "main" group of the last user.
>
> How can I really force the ownership only to the "sales" group?
>
> Thank you

This needs a UNIX solution and not a samba one.
Simply put the suid bit on directory 's group permission.

Ex:

if you need to store files from many users in the directory
/home/contracts and want them to all be saved as group sales do the
following:
Give the directory the group ownership of sales:
-> chown .sales /home/contracts
Then give the directory the suid bit on group:
-> chmod g+s /home/contracts
>From now every file created has his group set to "sales".

Simo.
--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451