WINS query

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Mon Jul 31 08:06:38 GMT 2000

Leo Lahav wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>
> I came accross your message in the SAMBA newsgroup and it seemed to me that
> you know a lot about browsing.  I currecntly run a WINS server in  a 2000+
> machine nework, however, browsing in windows sucks!  it takes forever for
> all hte machines to appear (15) and most of the time not all machines do
> appear.  my question is actually composed of two parts
>
> 1) is there a way to get Network Neighborhood to show ALL computers on the
> network which it gets from the WINS server, even after 1 hour, you sitll
> only see a fraction of the computers (No, the WINS database is not
> corrupted)

Are you sure all the machines register himself to the wins server?
(Have you set the wins server on every machine in the network
properties?)
Do all of you clients be always on?

> 2) Most imporantly!! - is there a way to QUERY the NT WINS server for ALL
> of it registered computers... ???

If I remember correctly there's somewhere in control panel a WINS tab
when you activate the wins server service. There you should see all the
registered machines.

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451