[TNG] Status (and merging)

Seth Vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Jul 24 13:05:28 GMT 2000

> Someone higher than myself will have to answer this.
> I can only tell you as far as what plans are for 2.2.0.
>
> We seriously hope to have this out in the next few
> months.  Would love to have it out by mid August.
> I can't make that call though.  Maybe looking
> into September.
>
> What will be in 2.2.0?
>
>   - rewritten locking semantics
>   - TDB support for various internals databases
>   - merged rpcclient from TNG
>   - Support for Windows NT point and print
>     features (automatic print driver install)
>   - consolidation of printer driver management
>     methods for Windows 95/98 and NT
>   - support for storing accounts in LDAP (this one
>     is the sketchiest right now)
>
> Probably some other things I have forgotten, but the
> above list is a good starting point.

This helps tremendously.
I think the concern that myself and others have is that while, the code is
available, a general roadmap is not, so many of us don't know where samba
is headed and are a concerned in that regard.

Regarding the technical issues:
are there plans to include samedit from tng as well?
is the imprints programs going to be the "consolidation of printer driver
mangement" portion?
Which LDAP version are you targeting (v2 or v3?)

Thanks for the answers they are very helpful.

-sv