[TNG] Status (and merging)

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at xavier.sa.edu.au
Mon Jul 24 00:15:17 GMT 2000

David Bannon wrote:

> If TNG cannot be merged back into mainstream Samba then that sounds like
> mainstream Samba won't do PDC to W2000 and that is plain scary.
> Can I suggest the team considers slowing down on some of the gee wiz
> functions and concentrating on heading towards a useable product for people
> like me who face the prospect of needing a PDC that accepts W2000 clients
> and provides performance similar to 'main stream' samba. The pressure for a
> product like this is getting pretty significent, even I have started to
> think about products from the Evil Empire ! (Not seriously but Samba must
> fight to remain relevent).

SAMBA_TNG_2_5_GOOD and later CVS work with Win2K, NT, 9x. I have used it
with profiles, Login scripts and printing. User Damager for Domains also
mostly works ;-). Maybe this would be enough for us that have to use
Samba TNG now and let the Samba team work on the merge (samba 3?).

--

Matthew Geddes
Network Manager