Win2k, Samba, & Win'9x

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Fri Jul 21 09:43:27 GMT 2000

"Cole, Timothy D." wrote:

> We effectively do that with the "password server"
> parameter, although plainly that won't do for "security
> = domain" -- but Win9x/ME don't really do domain
> membership anyway.
>
> Samba pretty much follows the NT model, though -- which
> it should.  I don't think it's worth messing with emulating
> Win9x in any particular way; that way lies madness.

Argghh!  You beat me to it Tim. Oh well...since I've already
typed it up.

OK. I've basically been ignoring this thread.  Then I
saw this message and decided to jump in.  If I have missed
so much of it that I an misunderstanding the context, please
correct me.

Windows 9x does allow you to specify a different
workgroup from the domain it validates against.
Windows NT does not.

Windows 9x is the mistake that won't die :-)  It is
basically still here for people to play games on.

So when given a choice of whether Samba should act like
Windows NT or the brain dead Windows 9x, I would
choose the former.

jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com  VA Linux Systems    gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org       SAMBA Team           jerry at samba.org