Print Server

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Wed Jul 19 22:55:39 GMT 2000

At 06:53 PM 19/07/2000 +1000, Buchan Milne wrote:
>Since we're talking about printing, what is the best method for doing
>accounting on a samba 2.0.7 printserver which is a member of a domain ?

I fiddled around with printcap filters some time ago and could not achieve
the reliablility I needed. So I built a seperate programe that samba calls
at print time. It does the accounting, either up or down, then sends the
client a confirmation (or otherwise) message, then if all is OK calls lpr
to do the printing. It is aware of all the places the page count appears in
a postscript file (that I have found so far) and will reject requests for
the wrong size paper.

Works for me but your mileage may vary .....

See http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au/about/admin/aprint/aprint.html

David
David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au