various probs with TNG 2.5 configuration

Urban Petry petry at rbg.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Jul 17 11:13:54 GMT 2000

Hi there,

first of all: Is there any *searchable* and *working* mailing list archive of samba-ntdom out there right now ? The one on samba.org is offline for a couple of days now and the one at http://samba.cadcamlab.org/lists/ offers no search functionality. I just recently rejoined the list so I bet my questions were asked before ... any hints very welcome.

Now to my problems:
I'm running samba tng 2.5 as a PDC on linux (2.2.16, SuSE 6.4) with the installation and configuration tips from Lars' excellent web site. NT and W2K workstations could instantly join the domain. My smb.conf is attached at the end of this mail.

1. problem: whenever I try to connect to the samba server from a client which is not in the samba controlled domain, I can only log in if I fully qualify the username (e.g. "TESTDOMAIN\user" instead of just "user"). Is this the expected behaviour or can it be changed that only the username is sufficient ?

2. problem: when using variable substitutions (e.g. %S, %u, %L) in my share definitions it doesn't work on the homes share. There I use /home/samabsrv/pchomes/%S as the path argument, but when I connect to that share (either from joined or stand-alone client), I get to see all the client directories (in /home/sambasrv/pchomes) which gives me the impression that the substitution doesn't work at all and returns an empty string. The same happens with %u and %U. Needless to say that "logon home" doesn't work, too. On the other hand when looking at the profiles share, everything works fine and the clients get/store their profiles correctly ??? BTW, when leaving out the path statement in the homes section, samba successfully uses the right unix homedirs ...

I have checked the log files at different debugging levels but couldn't find anything strange. If you need more information just let me know what.
Has someone experienced such a behaviour before ? Desperately waiting for your tips ... ;-)

Cheers
Urban

== smb.conf ===========================================================

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = TESTDOMAIN
        netbios name = TESTPDC
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        unix password sync = Yes
        log file = /opt/samba-tng/var/smb.log.%m
        max log size = 0
        time server = Yes
        domain group map = /opt/samba-tng/private/domaingroup.map
        logon script = LOGIN.BAT
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
        logon drive = U:
        logon home = \\%L\%U