configure options

Elrond elrond at samba.org
Thu Jul 13 16:48:42 GMT 2000

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 11:39:12PM +1000, James Nord wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got an updated TBNG today and am about to compile but I'm a little
> confused on some of the compile options.
> (RH Linux 2.2.16 kernel)
> Could someone answer the following please?
>
> What is --with-smbwrapper ?

Ignore that. (If you don't know, what it is, you don't need
it.)

> I want to be able to do DFS alla NT ie access \\mymachine\sharename\dir
> but actually get \\someothermachine\sharename\dir but which of the
> following options do I use?
>
> --with-dfs

This is fo Unixr DCE/RPC's DFS. It tries to build a samba,
that can authenticate against that. You probably don't need
that.

> --with-msdfs

You want this.

BUT: This is completely untested and might not even compile
in TNG. If you want this, you should run a HEAD samba on
another machine, that is going to be your fileserver.

TNG is mainly intended for PDC-functionality, not
fileserving. We try to keep fileserving running, but not to
its full extent.

> Whats the difference between them?
>
> --with-ldap
> --with-nt5ldap
> --with-sam-pwdb={passdb,tdb,nt5ldap}
> 	Which do I need to be able to store account info in an LDAP server?
> 	Is there someone who has put together a good samba/ldap FAQ?

AFAIK nt5ldap isn't yet usable.

And I have no idea, wether the others work.

 --with-sam-pwdb=tdb should work to some degree. It will
store the passwords in a tdb-database. But I can't
recommend that currently.

> --with-ssl
> 	Will this build me a server capable of talking both SSL and non SSL or
> will I need to compile one with-ssl and one without ssl?
> Will the --with-ssl comunicate directly with the Win2k SSL/TLS SMB
> features?

No idea at all, not even, wether it works in tng. But I
expect, that it is intended to be able to do both: ssl and
non-ssl.

> Thanks for your help,

A little late. I'm checking samba-ntdom only at non-regular
times.

    Elrond