Trouble when re-joining a NT Domain

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Thu Jul 13 13:55:12 GMT 2000

[Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles.teleline.es at teleline.es>]
> I was succesfully joining the domain, but I didn't remember I did
> already joined, and I relaunched that order: smbpasswd -j
> THE_DOMAIN. Now I get this:

> cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Joining the domain in Samba 2.0.x involves connecting to the PDC using
the "default password" for your machine name (the default password is
easily-computed and well-known, ergo not very secure), then changing
your machine account password and storing the new (random) one in the
local file "{DOMAIN}.{MACHINE}.mac".

I don't know whether a failed attempt to join trashes your
{DOMAIN}.{MACHINE}.mac file.  If so, you will need to re-join the
domain.  If not, you are still in the domain.

> What can I do? (besides removing GREAT_SERVER from THE_DOMAIN and
> adding it again) :-?

If "THE_DOMAIN.GREAT_SERVER.mac" was trashed by smbpasswd the second
time, this is your only option.

Peter