Problems with Win2K and Samba-TNG_2_5_good (I think)

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Thu Jul 13 09:45:49 GMT 2000

Hi,

I was doing some checking with what I though was Samba TNG 2.5 good (I blew
the sources away, so I can't be sure ... :-), and I noticed that I could
join the domain from a Win2K Pro system using root as the account to create
the trust account, but could not join using administator.

root and administrator are both members of the "Domain Admins" group, while
they are also members of the "Domain Users" group, as are a few other
accounts.

I can also log on to the domain as root, and as win95user and I assume some
other accounts, but not with administrator.

I have used samedit to set the password for administrator correctly, and I
have changed the group owner for private/smbpasswd to domainadmins which is
mapped to from "Domain Admins", and have done a chmod 660 on
privat/smbpasswd as well.

The error message I get in var/log.netlogond is something about
_samr_open_user: status c000064 and cache->Policy not found etc. And I get
told that no such user exist, even though the user exists and has the
correct password (the NT hash is the same as root's NT hash, which means
that it has the same password as root, which is what I intended.

Has anyone else seen this error?

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com