File locking and sharing problems with Access

Tarragon Allen tarragon at infoxchange.net.au
Wed Jul 12 06:03:34 GMT 2000

I have a linux server running Samba 2.0.6, and I have a share on the server
which holds an access database that several people have to access
simultaneously.  I had the database hosted on another machine (Windows 98)
with no hassles, however after I moved it to a shared drive on the Samba
server, it returns with this error 'Couldn't use "//TALOS/USDOCS/User
Database.mdb", file already in use' from Access 97, or 'Could not lock file'
from Access 2000, whenever a second person tries to open the file.

However (and I've only just noticed this feature) if I log into one
workstation with my samba username/password, open the database, then go to
another machine, log in as myself, I can open the database multiple times
with no problems.  This makes me think that the locks are set on a per user
basis...

The workstations are running Windows 98 SE.

Any suggestions?

Here is a copy of the relevent sections of my smb.conf file:

----------------------------
[global]
        workgroup = IX
        netbios name = TALOS
        security = user
        invalid users = root bin daemon adm sync shutdown halt mail news
uucp operator games gopher ftp lp squid

        wins support = yes
        domain master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        os level = 34

        map to guest = Bad User
        guest account = guest

[usdocs]
        comment = User Support Document Repository
        path = /home/samba/shares/usdocs
        public = no
        writeable = no
        read list = @usteam
        write list = @usteam

usteam is a unix group containing four members of our support team.

Thanks,

Tarragon Allen