Not in Browse list

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Wed Jul 5 14:20:15 GMT 2000

At 08:47 AM 7/7/00 +1000, Matthew Geddes wrote:
>> "Jeffrey W. Hampson" wrote:
>>
>> My Samba 2.07 server no longer shows up in network neighborhood, and
>> it had before.
>> For the life of me I can not figure out why it won't come back.
>> I have set it to be the local master, and an OS level at 34 or 44 or
>> something high but no luck
>> I have another samba server that always shows up in network
>> neighborhood, they have almost identical smb.conf .
>> except of course for the netbios name, and the os level.
>>
>> can someone tell me what I am missing?
>
>Not off hand, but your log files might. log.nmb from both machines will
>tell you what browser things are happening.

Well, I can think of two things here. Either your Samba server is no longer
sending announcements, or the master browser is not listening.

You can check both of these with something like Ethereal or tcpdump.

Restart samba and see what announcements it is sending. Ethereal
understands these things.

Also, try to browse, and look at the browse protocol messages being sent
back and forth. Ethereal understands these as well.

Is it possible that you are using NetBEUI on the clients as well as TCP?
This will stuff browsing up, as Samba is TCP/UDP only!

>Matt
>
>--
>
>Matthew Geddes
>Network Manager
>Xavier College
>Gawler, SA

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course