Quick smbpasswd question

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Thu Jul 6 13:38:08 GMT 2000

Mauricio Tavares wrote:

> interceptor# ./smbpasswd -a raubvogel
> User "raubvogel" was not found in system password file.
> interceptor#
>
> Do the users that will access the samba server (or, the users in the
> network) have to be defined in the /etc/passwd file too?

yes, you must have a valid user entry in your passwd.
If you do not need users to log on on the unix machine I may suggest to
add the following in passwd
ex:
raubvogel:*nologin*:501:100:Samba User:/:/bin/false

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451