TNG...still doesn't work, for me...

Lawrence Cotnam Jr. larry at pkunk.net
Tue Jul 4 05:24:26 GMT 2000

OK, I followed some advice posted here to try 'n get my UNIX machine to
properly run Samba-TNG.  I'll restate that I can and do run most
successfully with version 2.0.7.  Following a webpage setup instructions, I
added two new users to /etc/passwd called FIREMOTH$ and FURY$, the names of
the two machines using the Samba server.  I created them with unusable
passwords and homedirs of /nonexistent, login shell /sbin/nologin.  Then I
proceeded to modify a smb.conf retrieved from this webpage to my own needs,
the result is thus:

***---begin smb.conf---***
[global]

#NetBIOS name isn't needed if it's the same as the hostname
netbios name = FIREMOTH
workgroup = PKUNK-NET

#flat files that map Unix groups to NT type groups.
#these files take the form unix_group = `Windows NT group''
domain group map = /usr/local/samba/private/domaingroup.map
domain alias map = /usr/local/samba/private/domainalias.map

#Domain controllers use user security and we need encrypted
#passwords (see ENCRYPTION.txt)
security = user
domain logons = yes
encrypt passwords = yes

#And in order for us to be *sure* to win browser elections
os level = 65
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
local master = yes

#WINS is the equivalent of DNS for NetBIOS.
wins support = yes
time server = yes

#the next lines are equivalent to the various profile details
#found in NT's User Manager
#logon script = login.bat
#logon drive = U:
#logon home = \\MYSAMBAPDC\%U
#logon path = \\MYSAMBAPDC\profile\%U

#share all home directories
[homes]
browseable = no
writable = yes
comment = Users' home directories

#set up netlogon share for system policies and login scripts
[netlogon]
path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon
writable = no
guest ok = no
comment = PDC netlogon share

#the profiles share
#to create automatic subdirs for the different users
#chmod 1777 /usr/local/samba/profile
[profile]
path = /usr/local/samba/profile
writeable = yes
***---end smb.conf---***

I ran my startup script, which starts all daemons needed.  I wasn't sure
about the load order or if it even matters, but I used what the website
showed (though it didn't specificly say anything loading stuff in order).
I'm including my startup script here.

***---begin samba-tng.sh---***
#!/bin/sh
pidfiledir=/usr/local/samba/var/locks
sbindir=/usr/local/samba/sbin
bindir=/usr/local/samba/bin

# start
if [ "x$1" = "x" -o "x$1" = "xstart" ]; then
	echo -n ' smbd'
	$sbindir/smbd

	echo -n ' nmbd'
	$sbindir/nmbd

	echo -n ' browserd'
	$sbindir/browserd

	echo -n ' lsarpcd'
	$sbindir/lsarpcd

	echo -n ' netlogond'
	$sbindir/netlogond

	echo -n ' samrd'
	$sbindir/samrd

	echo -n ' spoolssd'
	$sbindir/spoolssd

	echo -n ' srvsvcd'
	$sbindir/srvsvcd

	echo -n ' svcctld'
	$sbindir/svcctld

	echo -n ' winregd'
	$sbindir/winregd

	echo -n ' wkssvcd'
	$sbindir/wkssvcd

# stop
elif [ "x$1" = "xstop" ]; then
	if [ -f $pidfiledir/smbd.pid ]; then
		kill `cat $pidfiledir/smbd.pid`
		rm -f $pidfiledir/smbd.pid
	fi

	if [ -f $pidfiledir/nmbd.pid ]; then
		kill `cat $pidfiledir/nmbd.pid`
		rm -f $pidfiledir/nmbd.pid
	fi

	if [ -f $pidfiledir/winregd.pid ]; then
		kill `cat $pidfiledir/winregd.pid`
		rm -f $pidfiledir/winregd.pid
	fi

	if [ -f $pidfiledir/netlogond.pid ]; then
		kill `cat $pidfiledir/netlogond.pid`
		rm -f $pidfiledir/netlogond.pid
	fi

	if [ -f $pidfiledir/samrd.pid ]; then
		kill `cat $pidfiledir/samrd.pid`
		rm -f $pidfiledir/samrd.pid
	fi

	if [ -f $pidfiledir/lsarpcd.pid ]; then
		kill `cat $pidfiledir/lsarpcd.pid`
		rm -f $pidfiledir/lsarpcd.pid
	fi

	if [ -f $pidfiledir/wkssvcd.pid ]; then
		kill `cat $pidfiledir/wkssvcd.pid`
		rm -f $pidfiledir/wkssvcd.pid
	fi

	if [ -f $pidfiledir/srvsvcd.pid ]; then
		kill `cat $pidfiledir/srvsvcd.pid`
		rm -f $pidfiledir/srvsvcd.pid
	fi

	if [ -f $pidfiledir/svcctld.pid ]; then
		kill `cat $pidfiledir/svcctld.pid`
		rm -f $pidfiledir/svcctld.pid
	fi

	if [ -f $pidfiledir/browserd.pid ]; then
		kill `cat $pidfiledir/browserd.pid`
		rm -f $pidfiledir/browserd.pid
	fi

	if [ -f $pidfiledir/spoolssd ]; then
		kill `cat $pidfiledir/spoolssd.pid`
		rm -f $pidfiledir/spoolssd.pid
	fi

	echo "Samba server stopped."
fi
***---end samba-tng.sh---***

After starting the server daemons (all of them loaded and stayed running), I
proceeded to run samedit, given the parameters: -S. -U root% -l log

All seems peachy so far.  Transcript of the samedit session:

{root}[/usr/local/samba/bin] firemoth:77> samedit -S. -U root% -l log
[root at .]$ createuser root -p ***
createuser root -p ***
SAM Create Domain User
Domain: PKUNK-NET Name: root ACB: [U          ]
Create Domain User: OK
[root at .]$ createuser pkunk -p ***
createuser pkunk -p ***
SAM Create Domain User
Domain: PKUNK-NET Name: pkunk ACB: [U          ]
Create Domain User: OK
[root at .]$ createuser FIREMOTH$
createuser FIREMOTH$
SAM Create Domain User
Domain: PKUNK-NET Name: firemoth$ ACB: [W          ]
Resetting Trust Account to insecure, initial, well-known value: "firemoth"
FIREMOTH can now be joined to the domain, which should
be done on a private, secure network as soon as possible
Create Domain User: OK
[root at .]$ createuser FURY$
createuser FURY$
SAM Create Domain User
Domain: PKUNK-NET Name: fury$ ACB: [W          ]
Resetting Trust Account to insecure, initial, well-known value: "fury"
FURY can now be joined to the domain, which should
be done on a private, secure network as soon as possible
Create Domain User: OK
[root at .]$ q

I thought I'd finally gotten it to work... so I tried to login from my
Windows 2000 workstation.  It would not accept my password.  I then tried to
use smbclient to login.  Transcript:

{root}[/usr/local/samba/bin] firemoth:79> smbclient //FIREMOTH/
added interface ip=63.201.19.138 bcast=63.201.19.143 nmask=255.255.255.248
Password:
session setup ok
Domain=[PKUNK-NET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba TNG-alpha]
failed tcon_X
session setup ok
Domain=[PKUNK-NET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba TNG-alpha]
failed tcon_X

At that point I'm returned to the prompt.  So... any suggestions from anyone
as to what I'm doing wrong?  I'm using a build from cvs SAMBA_TNG_2_5_GOOD.
Host operating system is FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE.

Lawrence D. Cotnam Jr.
(775) 337-2536
email: larry at pkunk.net