Any linux utility like nt's rcmd out there?

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Mon Jul 3 00:12:11 GMT 2000

[David Bannon <D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au>]
> I don't think that the rpcclient and/or samedit from TNG will
> cooperate with (eg) 2.0.7. Is that what you are suggesting ? Does
> anyone have them working together ?

rpcclient/samedit are for remote administration of NT and NT-like
systems.  They implement the various RPC calls used to this end in NT.
These calls are particularly useful because NT doesn't ship with a
generalized remote access mechanism like telnet, ssh or xdmcp.

So I assumed you were talking about remote administration of accounts
on NT.  In which case rpcclient/TNG is a much much better idea than
rpcclient/HEAD or rpcclient/2.2pre.  If instead you are wanting remote
administration of Samba [non-TNG] accounts on Unix, the best option is
probably to use ssh, then locally run smbpasswd.

And that's about all I have to say about that.

Peter