MIgration. in Hell

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Mon Jul 3 01:12:10 GMT 2000

At 12:54 AM 7/3/00 +1000, satan wrote:

>Ok, I got a BAD SITUATION NOW, my IT director tell me
>that I have 2
>weeks to migrate a windows Nt domaint to a samba
>running in the  sun
>server.
>My scenary is: I have 1000 accounts in a windows
>domain with roaming
>profiles and home directory in 1 PDC, and I have to
>migrate them to a
>sun machine running solaris.
>I am planning my actions, I think so the best is:
>1-Do a Rescue disk on Nt.
>2-Use lophtcrack to open it, and export to samba(this
>is a theory).

Use pwdump2. Tod Sabin has written a better pwdump that can get in behind
syskey. I assume you have administrator access.

>3-Create the users on samba.
>4-Open the share home, and do a Drag and drop to
>transfer all the homes.
>5-Pray.

Make sure you pray to the Samba gods :-)

Let us know how it goes.

Watch out for parameters like home path so you set up roaming profiles
correctly, and so on.

Good luck.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course