NT Workstation duplication

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Mon Jan 31 20:23:21 GMT 2000

We're really off topic now.  Let's try to wrap this up.

Seth Vidal wrote:

> > Very badly. You have to take a harddisk and do something like
> > overwrite the disk with zero's to make sure that all the previous
> > information is not there that will foul your compression ratio's.
>
> hmm not true really.
> I have a 600mb partition that I dd from the device and it
> compresses (gzip -9) down to 350mb

But how much was actually used space?  More than 350Mb?
If not, that's pretty lousy compression.  If you had
a program that would force 0's into all unallocated space,
your compression ratio on the unused area would be virtually
infinite.  Couple that with decent data compression, and
you could shrink the size of your image immensely.

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc at grainsystems.com