NT Workstation duplication

Seth Vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Jan 31 19:06:54 GMT 2000

> But I did not yet find a program that does the following:
>
> - Multicasting
> - Adapt partition tables & sizes on the fly (since not all disks are
> 1000% identical)
try this out:
sfdisk - scriptable fdisk - useful tool - lets you do all sorts of crazy
sizings.

or gnu parted - lets you edit and resize parititions

> - change NT name & SID (from within Linux, and don't mention dosemu,
> since then I could already use real DOS)
still a hassle - I'm using newsid after the fact - not very automated yet.

> - copy only USED sectors (and not all the empty space)
yeah. I know.
my workaround
small C: on the NT machines (~500mb) (NTFS)
large d: on the NT machines - VFAT
the vfat drives will copy cleanly from nfs->vfat dirs w/o a problem - then
its only used space.
copy the whole NTFS drive from an image - (compressed only about 150-200mb
transfer)

> - comression (fast/high)
gzip -9 - nothing but the best. :) (actually its pretty quick on a
slow-ass network.

> Please, please point me to such a program (ghost for linux ?) and I will
> immediately use it.

sorry - no program just some hacks.

-sv