Frustrated with browsing, domains, and network logins ...

Anthony Brock abrock at georgefox.edu
Mon Jan 31 15:12:53 GMT 2000

At 03:59 AM 1/28/00 -0800, lk at NetUSE.DE wrote:
>Anthony Brock wrote:
> >> We have a WINS server located at x.x.4.1 ->dns1 (Samba 2.0.6)
> >> We have a Domain PDC for PLANTSERVICES located at x.x.9.61 ->
> >plant_server
> >> (NT 4.0 ServicePack 5)
> >> We have a workstation that needs to login to PLANTSERVICES at x.x.5.154
> >->
> >> dherron (Win98)
>Have you disabled the wins-server on the PDC?

Yes, WINS is disabled on both the PDC and BDC.

>Use all clients the same WINS-server? And do all clients and
>servers use a WINS-server?

Currently, all clients use DHCP and are assigned the same WINS server
address (x.x.4.1).  When I installed the NT PDC, it also was configured
with this WINS address (I also added the WINS to the BDC at that time,
which was about 4 months ago).

>Which Sambaversion do you use?

The WINS Server was recently down-graded back to 2.0.6 (since virtually all
of our cross-network browsing became VERY unstable when we tried to upgrade
to Samba-TNG).

>Can you post the global section from smb.conf?

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from dns1.georgefox.edu (x.x.4.1)
# Date: 1999/12/27 10:47:49

# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = IT
         encrypt passwords = Yes
         syslog = 0
         time server = Yes
         logon script = startup.bat
         domain logons = Yes
         os level = 34
         preferred master = Yes
         domain master = Yes
         wins support = Yes

>What says log.nmb? Please look who is the local masterbrowser and
>such things.

 From the following, I believe the local master browsers are x.x.9.61 and
x.x.4.1 (which seems correct).  However, since the weekend, it appears that
x.x.5.154 is no longer showing up as a local master browser again
*sigh*.  I checked the other current local master browsers on the x.x.5.x
network, and none of them are in the PLANTSERVICES domain.

$ nmblookup -B x.x.9.255 -S -M plantservices
querying plantservices on x.x.9.255
x.x.9.61 plantservices<1d>
Looking up status of x.x.9.61
received 10 names
         PLANT_SERVER    <00> -         M <ACTIVE>
         PLANTSERVICES   <00> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
         PLANTSERVICES   <1c> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
         PLANT_SERVER    <20> -         M <ACTIVE>
         PLANTSERVICES   <1b> -         M <ACTIVE>
         PLANT_SERVER    <03> -         M <ACTIVE>
         PLANTSERVICES   <1e> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
         ADMINISTRATOR   <03> -         M <ACTIVE>
         PLANTSERVICES   <1d> -         M <ACTIVE>
         ..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
num_good_sends=0 num_good_receives=0

$ nmblookup -A x.x.4.1
Looking up status of x.x.4.1
received 9 names
         DNS1            <00> -         M <ACTIVE>
         DNS1            <03> -         M <ACTIVE>
         DNS1            <20> -         M <ACTIVE>
         ..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
         IT              <00> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
         IT              <1b> -         M <ACTIVE>
         IT              <1c> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
         IT              <1d> -         M <ACTIVE>
         IT              <1e> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
num_good_sends=0 num_good_receives=0

$ nmblookup -B 198.106.75.255 -M -
querying __MSBROWSE__ on 198.106.75.255
198.106.75.171 __MSBROWSE__<01>
198.106.75.167 __MSBROWSE__<01>
198.106.75.179 __MSBROWSE__<01>
198.106.75.29 __MSBROWSE__<01>

$ nmblookup -A 198.106.75.154
Looking up status of 198.106.75.154
received 3 names
         DHERRON         <00> -         M <ACTIVE>
         PLANTSERVICES   <00> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
         DHERRON         <03> -         M <ACTIVE>
num_good_sends=0 num_good_receives=0

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Tony