editable databases

Schlomo Schapiro schapiro at clerk.pi.huji.ac.il
Sun Jan 30 07:07:14 GMT 2000

Hi Folks,

the fact that I have smbpasswd as a text file that I can change by hand
(or script) is THE ONLY REASON for me to move to Samba. I have to install
classrooms with NT WS via imaging and only because I can copy the password
hash entrys between workstation accounts I can install my NT classes 100%
automatically. Please don't loose that edge over MS !

PS: What I really would like to see is some kind of "collect mode" for
workstation accounts, e.g. I set a flag in the PDC and then it accepts all
WS logins with the password THEY send ( or the hash value) and keeps it
for further logons. Thus registering workstations will be easy, just open
up the PDC, boot all clients, lock the PDC and all clients are
registered. This will also save us from doing the smbpasswd -a -m WS. I am
suggestion this mode not as standard mode of operation, but for bigger
installations that have to register many clients  automatically.

Schlomo

--
Schlomo Schapiro
Computation Authority