LDAP support needs ON/OFF switch in smb.conf!

Jim Morris Jim at Morris.net
Sat Jan 29 05:19:45 GMT 2000

Hi all!

Just though I would ask this of the group...

After working with the LDAP support in Samba-MAIN 1999-10-15, it appears
that once you have done the configure with the "--with-ldap" flag, LDAP
is the *only* authentication mechanism used by Samba.  I observed that
once I installed Samba, built with the LDAP support, that my Samba
server was inaccessible until I got the LDAP server configured, and then
added the LDAP options to my smb.conf.  All attempts to connect to Samba
prior to that ended up with what appeared to be LDAP authentication
errors logged in my Samba log files...

One would think that it would be a "good idea" to make the use of LDAP
configurable via smb.conf.  I.e. we need some sort of "ldap support =
Yes/No" option, or something along those lines.  That way it would be
possible to distribute a prebuilt binary for Samba that includes LDAP
support - and the user can turn it on if they need to use it...

What do you think?  Is there a good reason it cannot be turned off once
compiled in?

Thanks!

Jim Morris (Jim at Morris.net)