[samba-tng] spoolss conversion and others

Peter Svensson petersv at psv.nu
Sat Jan 29 00:24:54 GMT 2000

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> weelll..... that's a bit of a pain.  by "locking" you will stop EVERYONE
> from being able to log in, access new shares etc.

Is write access needed to log in? What I'd like is to stall the write
access. The reads need only to be stopped during the "load" phase which
should only take a minuscle amount of time.

Is writing to the database needed to logon etc?

Or perhaps you could queue up the write accesses and not do the acutal
updates until the stall has been released so the writes affect the loaded
data and not the get overwritten.

> it's a bit like shutting off the pdc!
>
> but if you're happy to have that (netlogond paused; samrd paused; lsarpcd
> paused) and the consequences (during idle time), then yes, i'd say it's
> possible.
>

> > On an unrelated note: we switched to Main+TNG a week ago and it is oh so
> > fast!
> whoa - that's amazing to hear.
> i'm so pleased.

Not even close to what I am - the users were getting restless (recompile
times went from 15 to 4 minutes).

Peter
--
Peter Svensson      ! Pgp key available by finger, fingerprint:
<petersv at psv.nu>    ! 8A E9 20 98 C1 FF 43 E3  07 FD B9 0A 80 72 70 AF