[samba-tng] spoolss conversion and others

Peter Svensson petersv at psv.nu
Fri Jan 28 21:53:58 GMT 2000

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> hmm, what am i goung to do, then?

I think all that is needed (provided you want/need the database solution)
is some way to dump/load the database in some resonable format. A Nice
Touch would be a way to throttle or lock out the normal updates to the
database. To do your own magical stuff you would then do:
  throttle
  dump
  vi    ;-)
  load
  unthrottle

By switching to a real database (I assume that is what is being done, I
was too quick with the "D"elete at the beginning of the thread) queuing up
the incoming changes should be doable if we don't want to stall them
until the unthrottle.

On an unrelated note: we switched to Main+TNG a week ago and it is oh so
fast! Some operations (rebuilding one of our code trees) are almost an
order of magnetude faster than using 2.0.5. We only suffered two problems,
we lost printing under nt4+sp5 and the few remaining win9x clients don't
want to talk to the server at all. The printing problem was solved by
swtiching to lpr-based printing with only minor loss of functionallity and
the win9x boxen were scheduled for reinstalling anyway. Great work
everyone involved!

Peter
--
Peter Svensson      ! Pgp key available by finger, fingerprint:
<petersv at psv.nu>    ! 8A E9 20 98 C1 FF 43 E3  07 FD B9 0A 80 72 70 AF