I cannot join an NT Domain - help!

Airey, John JAirey at rnib.org.uk
Fri Jan 28 16:46:25 GMT 2000

I am getting the following error when trying to join an NT domain

smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r PDC
modify_trust_password: machine PDC rejected the session setup. Error was :
code 131.
2000/01/28 16:37:00 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password for domain DOMAIN.
Unable to join domain DOMAIN.

I'm using Samba 2.0.5a on a Redhat Linux 6.0 machine. I've been through all
the smb.conf settings and checked them against every bit of documentation I
can find.

The NT server is running SP5. I suspect that SP5 changed the method of
communication with an NT server to deny network logon RPC requests on
joining a domain.

Can anyone confirm this and if so, do you know what registry key on the NT
server would fix this?

-
John Airey
Systems Engineer, iSys, Royal National Institute for the Blind,
PO BOX 173, Peterborough PE2 6XU
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 375255 jairey at rnib.org.uk