Printing from NT Workstation to Samba-TNG - anyone have a quick guide?

Angus Rae Angus.Rae at ed.ac.uk
Thu Jan 27 17:05:36 GMT 2000

Jean Francois Micouleau wrote:
> >  The test
> >  workstation is NT 4.0 SP6.
> you named it: SP6. The spoolss code doesn't work with SP5 and above.

Rats, and I saw that in a message on the archive too, but thought it was
out-of-date info. I had a horrible suspicion that might be the case,
actually.

Is there any hope of getting it working with SP5 or SP6 in the near
future, or has the NT end been made thoroughly incompatible? I'd rather
avoid all of those post-SP4 hotfixes if at all possible... :-)

> > I suspect that the problem is I've missed some important stage out
> > somewhere (for example, I don't have any "ntforms.def" file as I have no
> > idea what should be in it).
> Nope it's filled automatically, maybe it isn't created,... Try to "touch
> ntforms.def"

Indeed, it's not created; once SP6 has finished backing out I'll try it
again.

[later...]

Ohh dear - the backout to SP3 just finished, and I tried again (having
deleted the NTdriver and NTprinter files from
/usr/local/samba/lib/printers, and the W32X86 directory from
/usr/local/samba/pdriver). Same symptoms as before (failure to print
test page), and when I tried to refresh the "Network
NeighbourhoodN\server\Printers" window I got another crash in
EXPLORER.EXE. The same files appeared in the same locations and
ntforms.def stayed at size 0.

So it doesn't look like it was just SP6, either that or backing out SP6
doesn't remove everything to do with SP6 - which wouldn't surprise me.

Is there anything else that could be causing this problem?

Thanks again,
Angus
--
Angus G Rae                         Science & Engineering Support Team
                                         EUCS, University of Edinburgh