Printing from NT Workstation to Samba-TNG - anyone have a quick guide?

Angus Rae Angus.Rae at ed.ac.uk
Thu Jan 27 15:52:25 GMT 2000

Hi,

After a bit of dragging through the list archives I realised that I
didn't really have a clue about how NT to Samba-TNG printing works these
days (my last experience with NTDOM was before the NT spooling stuff was
added), so I'm hoping that somebody can offer some advice on how to set
up printers for NT Workstations.

The test server is a CVS download (27/1/2000) of the SAMBA_TNG branch
(although I believed the FAQ and downloaded the head branch, and didn't
notice the difference until I spotted that "domain group map" wasn't
recognised as a command), running on an updated RedHat 6.1 box. The test
workstation is NT 4.0 SP6.

Domain logons, domain group mappings and so forth all seem to work
normally.

Here's the settings I've used in an attempt to get printing working,
cribbing from quite a few messages on the list...

# excerpts from smb.conf

# -------- NT PRINTING TEST STUFF -----------

nt forms file = /usr/local/samba/lib/printers/ntforms.def
nt printer driver = /usr/local/samba/lib/printers

[print$]
    path = /usr/local/samba/pdriver
    guest ok = yes
    writable = yes
    write list = angus
    case sensitive = no
    browseable = yes

[ps15]
    path = /var/spool/samba/ps15
    browseable = yes
    writable = no
    printable = yes
    printer driver = Apple LaserWriter Pro
630

# end of excerpt.

This seems to _nearly_ work; if I logon as a domain admin, open up
Network Neighbourhood/Server/Printers, click "Add Printer", tick the
port for the printer (ps15) and choose the printer driver (Apple
Laserwriter Pro 630) it does appear to upload it to the server. However,
it then fails to print the test page and no printer appears. If I try it
again, it detects that the driver is already installed but no matter if
I choose "replace" or "use" I then get a crash in EXPLORER.EXE.

The files that appear on the server are;

in /usr/local/samba/lib/printers:
NTdriver_W32X86_Apple LaserWriter Pro 630
NTprinter_ps15

in /usr/local/samba/pdriver:
W32X86/APTOLLW1.PPD
W32X86/PSCRIPT.DLL
W32X86/PSCRIPT.HLP
W32X86/PSCRPTUI.DLL

I suspect that the problem is I've missed some important stage out
somewhere (for example, I don't have any "ntforms.def" file as I have no
idea what should be in it).

Can anyone help, or point me at where I should be looking?

Thanks in advance,
Angus
--
Angus G Rae                         Science & Engineering Support Team
                                         EUCS, University of Edinburgh