segmentation fault connecting to Samba PDC

Eric the Fruitbat fruitbat at netspace.org
Wed Jan 26 18:00:21 GMT 2000

Hello.  I'm a Samba newbie who is managing a mixed network of Windows and Linux
machines over a VPN, with a Linux PDC handling domain logins, as follows:

	   network A				 network B
	  192.168.1.0				192.168.3.0

192.168.1.2 -----.                                     .----- Win 98
 Mandrake/2.2.14 |                       PDC "badger"  |
 Samba 2.0.6     |-- gateway --- ppp --- 192.168.3.1 --|
                 |                       SuSE/2.2.7    |----- Win 95
192.168.1.20 ----'                       Samba 2.0.6   |
 NT 4.0 sp3                                            |
                                                       `----- Win 95

Previously, when I was using development versions of Samba for the PDC,
connection from the machines in A worked well, and connections from B
(especially the 95 boxes) would sometimes fail or perform poorly.

In an effort to straighten everything out once and for all, I installed
the latest official release onto the PDC and upgraded 192.168.1.2, as
above.  Now connections from B work flawlessly, much to the relief
of users on that end, but connections from A fail outright.

More specifically, although from 192.168.1.2 the command

% smbclient -L badger -Ueric%password

produces the correct list of shares, servers, and workgroups, the command

% smbclient '\\badger\eric' -Ueric%password

produces a segfault.  When run from the PDC itself the second command
produces the smb: \> prompt, as expected.

The NT machine has a similar problem:  it can see the entire network in
its network neighborhood, and can browse machines that have public-access
shares, but it can't log into the domain.  At least, the problem seems
similar to my unlettered mind.

Can anyone shed light onto what might be going on here?  When I run the
smbclient command with -d9, everything seems to work fine up to "tconx
ok", and then it just ups and dies, but I don't really know how to read
the debug output so I can't be sure.  Any help is greatly appreciated, or
if there's some documentation that already deals with this issue I'm happy
to check it out.  Thanks in advance.

Eric deRiel
--
 Bank runs will start in mid 1999.